[Projekt] Extracting Ace Combat

Hier könnt ihr euch selbst, eure Homepage, euren Entwicklerstammtisch, Termine oder eure Projekte vorstellen.
Forumsregeln
Bitte Präfixe benutzen. Das Präfix "[Projekt]" bewirkt die Aufnahme von Bildern aus den Beiträgen des Themenerstellers in den Showroom. Alle Bilder aus dem Thema Showroom erscheinen ebenfalls im Showroom auf der Frontpage. Es werden nur Bilder berücksichtigt, die entweder mit dem attachement- oder dem img-BBCode im Beitrag angezeigt werden.

Die Bildersammelfunktion muss manuell ausgeführt werden, die URL dazu und weitere Details zum Showroom sind hier zu finden.

This forum is primarily intended for German-language video game developers. Please don't post promotional information targeted at end users.

Re: [Projekt] Extracting Ace Combat

Beitragvon Krishty » 12.07.2017, 00:30

I will! Thank you!
seziert Ace Combat, Driver, und S.T.A.L.K.E.R.   —   rendert Sterne
Krishty

Benutzertext: state is the enemy

Beitragvon RythusOmega » 22.07.2017, 04:22

Hello Krishty, i was looking this thread every day, and im glad to see someone dedicating time to decompressing the PSX era models of Ace Combat. I really liked to see that it´s possible to get access to these models, and i have been looking the models on your tool which DragonSpike released on USEAtoday. also it´s interesting to read the posts about how to decompress the models, how the PSX VRAM works, and how to fix UV maps and converting the VRAM models into a readable format like .WRL (even for me, a noob when it comes to hex and various types of coding).

Including the AC3 models that come with Lean´s Viewer build, i see you managed to get the AC2 ones too (the Axel Bay, Comona and Anchorhead map screenshots), and i would like to know about it, how far you manage to extract the polygons of the maps, and if you already manage to extract the aircraft models? That´s all i have to say for now, also keep going on continue this thread and with the updates about the models, it´s hard to find someone with such dedication and knowledge on decompressing PSX models. Also thanks for extracting the AC3 models, my dream of seeing those models from 360º view become a reality thanks to you.
RythusOmega

Beitragvon scheichs » 22.07.2017, 09:38

Once again a wonderful article! Thank you for investing the time, Krishty.
P.S.: I love Krishtyvision! :D
scheichs

Beitragvon Krishty » 22.07.2017, 15:01

scheichs hat geschrieben:Once again a wonderful article! Thank you for investing the time, Krishty.
Once again, you’re welcome! I’m happy if that knowledge doesn’t get lost :)

RythusOmega hat geschrieben:Hello Krishty, i was looking this thread every day, and im glad to see someone dedicating time to decompressing the PSX era models of Ace Combat. I really liked to see that it´s possible to get access to these models, and i have been looking the models on your tool which DragonSpike released on USEAtoday. also it´s interesting to read the posts about how to decompress the models, how the PSX VRAM works, and how to fix UV maps and converting the VRAM models into a readable format like .WRL (even for me, a noob when it comes to hex and various types of coding). […] That´s all i have to say for now, also keep going on continue this thread and with the updates about the models, it´s hard to find someone with such dedication and knowledge on decompressing PSX models. Also thanks for extracting the AC3 models, my dream of seeing those models from 360º view become a reality thanks to you.
Thank you for your kind words! I’m glad you enjoy the articles and feedback like yours really keeps me going (I read your comment on USEA Today as well)!

RythusOmega hat geschrieben:Including the AC3 models that come with Lean´s Viewer build, i see you managed to get the AC2 ones too (the Axel Bay, Comona and Anchorhead map screenshots), and i would like to know about it, how far you manage to extract the polygons of the maps, and if you already manage to extract the aircraft models?
First of all, please excuse the silence over the last weeks. I’ve been busy with work, and on weekends, I’ve been helping the guys at Driver Madness with extracting Driver cities, some stuff I had promised them in spring.

1. I can extract basic terrain features of all Ace Combat 2 levels, for better or worse. E.g. the bridge at Anchorhead is missing and so are some carriers and buildings. It all has a common cause – the way Namco placed the objects is vastly different from Ace Combat 3, and it’ll take some time to decode the correct placement.
    2017-07-22 Ace Combat 2 objects.png

2. Furthermore, Port Edwards at Night has some serious transparency issues; probably caused by animated signal lights from skyscrapers. Figuring this out is quite painful.
    2017-07-22 Ace Combat 2 Port Edwards night glitches.png
I’m planning to release an archive with the WRL levels once these issues are fixed. I’ll start extracting the planes then.

You may remember my discovery of the ULZ compression in Ace Combat 5. I was also having a look at Air Combat, and amazingly, it shares some data structures and sound formats with the other games. Namco used many identical file structures in all their games, and I try to keep my tools as compatible as possible, so I can hopefully extract all Ace Combat games in the future.

Oh look, there are pieces of an unused F-4 skin in Air Combat:
2017-07-22 Air Combat F-4 skin.png
2017-07-22 Air Combat F-4 skin.png (4.84 KiB) 771-mal betrachtet
Krishty

Beitragvon Krishty » 31.07.2017, 11:36

DragonSpikeXIII ist noch lange nicht fertig mit seiner Ace Combat 3-Übersetzung. Drüben auf USEA Today schreibt er im Detail, wie es weitergehen wird – und das klingt fantastisch!
Krishty

Beitragvon Infrid » 04.08.2017, 18:35

wow, so many discovers, glad you found the way how models works and how they are stored in the game!

I have a good news, I made an Ulz compressor for ace combat 3, I'll release it soon and I am starting to look to other tools for creating a suite capable of editing the game without break anything.

Krishty, could you release the source code of your unpacker? I'd like to take a look inside and make a tool for packing the BPB without problems, also I'd like to compile it under gnu/linux, so I can use it in my workflow. Don't worry if your code is not perfect, mine is messy too :)

Thanks!

Infrid
Infrid

Beitragvon Krishty » 04.08.2017, 18:57

Of course, just let me gather the pieces. Did you see DragenSpike’s collection @ http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.p ... #msg340734 ? Yes you did, just checked your Wiki!
Krishty

Beitragvon Krishty » 04.08.2017, 23:02

I’ve uploaded for source code for unpack_AC2 and unpack_AC3 to my original post. I’ll upload more stuff (terrain extraction etc.) when that’s finished and the tutorials are written.
Krishty

Beitragvon Infrid » 05.08.2017, 09:30

Thanks so much, I'll take a look to your files!

When I have some spare time I'll finish the compressor and post some results :)
Infrid

Beitragvon Infrid » 19.08.2017, 10:02

Here we are, I finished the compressor and it's available at https://github.com/Infrid/ac3es-tools

You need at least python 3.6 and can compress ulz v0 and v2, it analyse the files too and tells what parameter use for recompress the original files.

You can get information form iso and BPB files too, thanks to orientalcomputer_01 for that :)

The tool has been tested against my decompressor, because we didn't had time do test and debug on the game on an emulator, if you test it, please give us feedback!

Lz77 was used for compress files, but I have to optimize it, is still not efficient as the original namco's tool.
Infrid

Vorherige

Zurück zu Vorstellungsbereich